5.20.2005

Issues of Faith and Religion

When I was a child, faith and religion were simple and uncomplicated. We didn’t always go to church, but I always went to Christian schools. I was taught about the gospel of Jesus Christ and I believed.

As an adult, I still believe in the gospel of Jesus Christ. I was baptized at age 22 and I joined a Baptist church in my neighborhood. After I got married and moved to the other side of town, my husband and I agreed that we would look for a church nearby. Neither of us wanted to attend his church and my church was about 45 minutes away (with no traffic). We found a church that we both liked, but lately I have begun to question the church’s philosophy and focus. We attend a “prosperity” church. Essentially, the church’s main focus is to teach its members how to be prosperous (especially financially) here on earth, in this life. I struggle with the focus of this ministry.

Now, don’t misunderstand me. I understand the importance of having the right relationship with money. The Bible speaks about money a lot. But I have a problem with every message coming down to money. And I especially have a problem with being asked to show my love for the pastor by giving him a personal offering every month. I think the pastor should be taken care of. But I don’t think the pastor should have 2 Mercedes-Benz's in his garage while the majority of his congregation can’t afford to move out of the ghetto. Lately the message seems to be focused on “giving so that you can get your blessing”. I don’t think we should be giving just to get something in return. I give because I love the Lord. If I never become rich or a superstar singer or move into a huge mansion, I will continue to give. Because He loved me first. The size of my blessing is not dependent on me making the pastor’s family rich. My blessings are determined by my relationship with the Almighty. I know that He will always provide for me. He always has taken care of me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chocolatelocs said...

Two Mercedes-Benzs! Wow, I should have became a Pastor!

Maybe it would be possible for the church members to redirect the offering to charitable causes, such as spreading the word, providing food and housing to those in need, helping children in war-torn countries and right here in the US.

If some of the members can't get out of the ghetto, then I wonder whether the Pastor is really focused on prosperity, or just his prosperity. Tough call.

I'm also having a questions about choosing a church, but more generally, figuring out where God wants me to go.

7:43 AM  
Blogger songbird36 said...

Choose wisely, my friend.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The WeatherPixie
« chicago blogs »
Blogs By Black Women