5.04.2005

National Scrapbook Day

Here’s my dilemma: I got involved with scrapbooking a few years ago. I thought it would be a fun way to archive all the pictures I’ve accumulated over the years. My friend M told me about Creative Memories, I liked the products and thus began yet another hobby that I don’t have quite enough time to do. Anyhoo, I started going to some of the workshops. They were fun. I got to be creative and drink margaritas. This was cool especially since M and I rarely get to hang out without the kids .After a while I began to notice that the typical profile of a scrapper was middle-aged white woman with 2-4 children under age 14. And 95% of their pictures were of their children. And a lot of the conversation revolved around little Timmy’s latest antics. This didn’t really bother me until I started the bumpy ride on the baby train.

This Friday is National Scrapbook Day. Mommies from all over Chicago will round up all their latest photos along with a new batch of cute kid stories and congregate in the local church, gymnasium or some other space large enough to fit 30 large round tables. They will work on their baby album, first day of school album, Disneyworld album, etc… I just don’t know if I am up for 6 hours of absorbing the memories of other peoples’ kids.

Fertility issues can bring up such a mixed bag of emotions. I feel selfish for not wanting to be bothered. It seems like I should be able to stop thinking about my situation for a little while. I feel guilty for having a secret grudge against all of my friends who have children. Logically, I know that this is just ridiculous. I’m still bitter with one friend because I shared my story with her and she did not reciprocate. I need to get over this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The WeatherPixie
« chicago blogs »
Blogs By Black Women