4.21.2005

Random Thoughts for Friday

At the risk of sounding shallow, I must say that I love the financial perks of my job. Yesterday I got my letter from our CEO regarding my second installment of equity options. Basically, the company I originally worked for was bought out by my current company. At that time I had some stock options, which I cashed in for about $12,000. The new company issued equity shares to the managers as an incentive to stay with the company for a certain amount of time. Well now the shares are becoming mature. Last year got the first installment of $18,000. This allowed us to pay off all our credit cards. This year I will get $28,000. Yippee! I am thinking about buying some investment property with the latest installment. This is the first step towards my goal of becoming financially independent.
***
Our Lady of the Underpass

What is up with this sighting of the Virgin Mary by the Kennedy expressway? Background—The local news station reported that a woman was exiting the Kennedy e-way in Chicago when she noticed a water stain on the viaduct. When she looked at it closely, she made out the image of the Virgin Mary. She took a picture of it with her camera phone and the image stood out even more. She took it to be a sign…either a message from pope John Paul or from Mary herself. Since then, Catholics have been flocking to this site on the expressway, leaving candles, flowers etc. Some are saying it is a miracle. I think it’s just a water stain. I am not Catholic, but I did go to a Catholic high school (I am a Christian). I never understood the Catholic church’s fascination with the Virgin Mary, the adulation of the pope and the many rites and rituals that Catholics practice. I’m so glad that I know how to go boldly to the throne.
***
Today I am listening to the new Faith Evans (The First Lady). It is hot. It’s funny, she is not a very exciting performer to me but I really like this CD. She was on The View a few weeks ago and her performance was rather lackluster. I wish she were more energetic when she performs, because I think she has a great voice and she makes some really nice music.

1 Comments:

Blogger Treifalicious said...

I dunno, songbird36. There have been a lot of Jesus sightings lately. I saw on the news here that some woman, I think in the Southwest, claims she saw an image of Jesus in her tortilla. The woman died and her daughter keeps it in some loving place to remind her of her mother.

A TORTILLA, for crying out loud!!!

I have to admit that as another former Catholic school student (who later coverted to Judaism) I feel you on your lack of understanding of Catholic rituals (I recently wrote a post about in on my blog about the Pope's funeral). I have to admit that I don't know how thinking Catholics walk the fine line between being Catholic and being a modern person.

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The WeatherPixie
« chicago blogs »
Blogs By Black Women