4.12.2006

Looking Busy Today

My boss is in town today, so I really need to look busy. Ugh. Thankfully, blogging looks like real work to the common observer. And my computer is strategically facing away from the door to my office. And…I’m wearing my glasses, giving me a scholarly, nose-to-the-grindstone kind of look. And my staff is fairly busy, so that should keep them out of trouble. So when Oz walks by, I will look like the model manager, employee and all around hard worker. I swear the corporate dance makes me tired. If I could just get (and stay) knocked up I could blow this popsicle stand.

The good news today is that I got the word on my remaining “equity” options. These are like stock options but for a private company. The company gave me (and other key employees) options as an incentive to stick around after my former company was bought out a few years ago. Now the options are vested, so I can cash them in for a nice chunk of money. This year I am collecting on all of my remaining shares. After that, if I decide to flip my desk over and jump ship, I won’t be leaving any money on the table. Hurray!

If you haven’t figured it out. I am not a fan of my job. But I don’t hate it enough to deal with the stress of starting something new…not yet. I guess from the outside looking in, I am in a pretty good situation. I am a middle manager, my boss is in NY, and he is pretty hands off. I have lots of flexibility to go to my numerous doctor appointments. And my salary is outstanding for my field. My main problem with this job is that I am not being challenged in any way. I am not a type A, driven personality. But I do need some stimulation. I get zero stimulation here.
Luckily, I have hobbies and other stuff to keep me occupied.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What are some of your hobbies? :)

9:02 PM  
Blogger songbird36 said...

Well....I sing (it's a hobby until I figure out how to make some money!), I run, I play the flute. I also play the piano a little, and this summer I plan to take guitar lessons. I also like scrapbooking and cardmaking, and I've been known to take the occasional dance class. I love to read and I plan to ge back into writing (outside of this blog) at some point. Whew, it's a wonder I have an time for work! :-)

7:11 AM  
Blogger x said...

I loved reading this post. I feel the exact same about my job. I get paid well, time off for IVF and not too bad stress but it really doesn't matter - I don't like my job. For about the same reason as you, I am not type A enough to make it better but I do want some stimulation. I like cooking. Funny, I didn't become a chef because the hours make it hard to have a family - who knew that having a family would be so hard in of itself.

Thank goodness blogging looks like work.

12:25 PM  
Blogger x said...

p.s. - my boss is concered about me taking 3 days off after transfer and wants me to take work home. Fine, I'll take my laptop home and blog from the couch.

12:26 PM  
Blogger GLouise said...

I can totally relate to this "blah" feeling about work!

Loved the comment about how blogging looks like real work ;-)

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The WeatherPixie
« chicago blogs »
Blogs By Black Women