4.10.2006

Bloody Monday

I am finally feeling more like my normal self. Last week I went for a consultation with my RE to talk about what our next steps will be. She had our test results and thank goodness, we don't have any genetic abnormalities that would predispose us to future miscarriages. Now I just need to get tested for any immunological factors. Depending on how these tests come out, we are planning for another round of IVF and possibly IVIG (my RE calls this the scary bag of liquid) in May or June. Of course we also have to wait for AF, which could take as long as 6 weeks to show up.

So this morning I went to have my blood drawn and I will drop the samples off at this lab across town this afternoon. Have I mentioned that the phlebotomists at my doctor's office irk my very soul? My husband calls them Shenika and Shaquonda. They never seem to quite know what they are doing. Today they scolded me because they supposedly are not supposed to do blood draws for outside labs. I asked if the doctor knew this and that heffa got snippy with me. The nerve! Anyhoo, they ended up doing the blood draw and charging me $20. Of course, neither of them knew how run a credit card, so I had to go get cash. It was all very annoying, but I got what I needed. This entire process has taught me how to be very, very pushy.

The lab is near North Michigan Avenue. I was thinking I would do a little lunchtime retail therapy after I drop off my blood. But then I remembered...the test cost $1555.00. And it is not covered by insurance. D'oh. I plan to file a claim anyway. Maybe the insurance gods will have pity on me and pay up.

4 Comments:

Blogger Family Ties said...

OOOOH I cannot stand stank staff!

UGH!

Glad to read you're feeling a bit more positive. What exactly is IVIG? Let us know about the immunology tests (well if you want to) I just typed that and I was like umm....that was rather forward of me to assume you were gonna tell us :) hehehe sorry.

*hugs*

There is always an excuse for shopping! GO GO GO!

10:00 AM  
Blogger songbird36 said...

IVIG is intravenous immune globulin. Basically, it keeps any autoimmune factors from killing the embryo. My mom had an autoimmune disease (she's in remission) so it's possible that I have some trait. Anyhoo, I would have to get an iv treatment every few weeks. Here's a link...
http://sharedjourney.com/articles/ivig.html

Hopefully it will not come to this, but I'll keep you posted.

12:20 PM  
Blogger YouGuysKnow said...

hey. so great to see you back up - i have been checking in daily ;) i second Sunnie - would love to learn more about the immunology testing if you care to share. also, the genetic abnormalities they tested for, is that the same as testing for CF and Tay Sachs and those types of detectable genetic diseases? i will research more on IVIG - that's so fasinating that they can do that! hope you're doing better and sending hugs!

4:00 PM  
Blogger YouGuysKnow said...

p.s.
it's one thing to have annoying/unhelpful/nasty employees at the DMV but when they work in healthcare it's intollerable!!! not cool.

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The WeatherPixie
« chicago blogs »
Blogs By Black Women