1.02.2007

Happy New Year!

I took a little hiatus from blogging for a while, but I'm back now, and I hope to update more regularly.

On the IF front: We are starting a new IVF cycle with retrieval planned for late January. We learned from the last cycle that I have a PAI 1 gene mutation. This mutation is not uncommon, but coupled with my elevated NK cells it caused the blood clot in my uterus, which led to my last miscarriage. We are trying everything but the kitchen sink for this cycle.IvIg, met.for.minmin, vitamin B and folic acid supplements, prenatal vitamins, baby aspirin, dexa.methasone and hepa.rin after a positive pregnancy test. This is the first cycle that we will have to pay for ourselves, since my insurance coverage has been exhausted. Thankfully, we have been really good savers and my hubby's business is doing well. And for whatever reason, my insurance company still covers most of the drugs. Miraculously, I am still hopefully and cautiously optimistic.I did not think the whole therapy thing would work, but I feel pretty good these days, so I maybe it is worthwhile afterall.

We had a lovely Christmas this year, with no hosting responsibilities for me. (Yay!) The hubby and I exchanged gifts first thing in the morning. I gave him a new watch. But not just any watch. I splurged and got him a Ro.lex. I know this was extravagant, especially in light of our upcoming expenses, but I know that once we have kids, this kind of extravagance will be out of the question. His look of utter shock and subsequent joy was worth it. He gave me a Gucci bag, a new wallet and a new phone. Later we went to my parents' house for brunch. My mom made some deeee-liciouis shrimp 'n grits. Even my hubby, who formerly believed that "grits are the enemy," could not get enough. We exchanged gifts with my folks and my brother & sis in law.

That evening, we went to the in-laws for dinner and yet another gift exchange. We could not resist going a little overboard with the gifts for our nephew. I especially loved the enormous stuffed dog that my husband picked out. Our final destination was my brother's wife's parents' house (they live around the corner from my in-laws) for games and frolicking with the numerous kids who swarm over there at Christmastime. We got to meet the twins--my brothers God daughters who were born three months prematurely. They only had a 50% chance of survival when they were born. Miraculously, it has been nine months and they both survived and are doing fine.

We decided to stay in for New Year's Eve, and ultimately ended up hosting an impromptu gathering. It was quite nice.

I planned to avoid the whole resolution thing. So much of my life has been put on hold these past few years as we pursue our quest to start a family. It seems crazy to make yet another list of promises for the coming year, only to have my plans thwarted by grief and disappointment and my inability to make any life changes just yet. However, I am learning that life goes on. I don't want our IF battle to steal any more precious time than what is absolutely necessary. I have high hopes for 2007, but mostly, I just want to have a baby. Whether or not that happens, I hope I can be a little less self-absorbed, a little more giving and open, a little more thoughtful and a little less serious. I want to continue singing and other hobbies that bring me joy. I hope to develop more as a writer, and possibly find some cool freelance opportunities. I hope to devote more time to friends, family and develop more positive and uplifting relationships. I don't know what 2007 holds in store for me, but I can't wait to find out.

3 Comments:

Blogger Stilla Momma said...

Oh Lisa,

You sound good, real good. *hug*

I hope, yep, I hope this cycle is a good one. Sounds like you have a lot of answers and are ready for whatever this year may bring, friend.

-Adrienne

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to see you back, I kept cheacking in to see how you were. It wasn't until we lost our Angel that we found out all the different pills I need to be on.
Takecare and good luck with your up coming cycle, we'll be doing a FET in Feb.
xx

11:51 PM  
Blogger soralis said...

Glad to see you back... Hope that 2007 is a better year!

Take care

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The WeatherPixie
« chicago blogs »
Blogs By Black Women